Mathematics, Grade 10, Academic (MPM2D) Principles of Mathematics, Grade 10, Academic
Name of School:
Department: Department of Mathematics
Course Development Date: 2017
Course Title: Principles of Mathematics
Ministry Course Code: MPM2D
Credit Value: 1.0
Developed from: The Ontario Curriculum, Grades 9 and 10: Mathematics, 2005 (revised)
Prerequisite: Principles of Mathematics, Grade 9, Academic
This course enables students to broaden their understanding of relationships and extend their problem-solving and algebraic skills through investigation, the effective use of technology, and abstract reasoning. Students will explore quadratic relations and their applications; solve and apply linear systems; verify properties of geometric figures using analytic geometry; and investigate the trigonometry of right and acute triangles. Students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems.
Curriculum Overall Expectations:
A. Quadratic Relations of the Form y=ax2+bx+c
- Determine the basic properties of quadratic relations;
- Relate transformations of the graph of y = x2 to the algebraic representation y = a(x - h)2 + k;
- Solve quadratic equations and interpret the solutions with respect to the corresponding relations;
- Solve problems involving quadratic relations.
- model and solve problems involving the intersection of two straight lines;
- solve problems using analytic geometry involving properties of lines and line segments;
- verify geometric properties of triangles and quadrilaterals, using analytic geometry.
- use their knowledge of ratio and proportion to investigate similar triangles and solve problems related to similarity;
- solve problems involving right triangles, using the primary trigonometric ratios and the Pythagorean theorem;
- solve problems involving acute triangles, using the sine law and the cosine law.