Foundations of Mathematics, Grade 9, Applied (MFM1P)
Name of School: KCS Online Learning
Course Developer: Christian Bayly
Course Development Date: June 2019
Course Reviser/Revision Date: ----
Course Title & Grade: Foundations of Mathematics, Grade 9, Applied
Ministry Course Code: MFM1P
Course Type: Applied
Credit Value: 1.0
Developed from: The Ontario Curriculum, Grades 9 and 10: Mathematics, 2005 (revised)
This course enables students to develop an understanding of mathematical concepts related to introductory algebra, proportional reasoning, and measurement and geometry through investigation, the effective use of technology, and hands-on activities. Students will investigate real-life examples to develop various representations of linear relations, and will determine the connections between the representations. They will also explore certain relationships that emerge from the measurement of three-dimensional figures and twodimensional shapes. Students will consolidate their mathematical skills as they solve problems and communicate their thinking.
Curriculum Overall Expectations:
A. Number Sense and Algebra
- A1. solve problems involving proportional reasoning;
- A2. simplify numerical and polynomial expressions in one variable, and solve simple first-degree equations.
B. Linear Relations
- B1. apply data-management techniques to investigate relationships between two variables;
- B2. determine the characteristics of linear relations;
- B3. demonstrate an understanding of constant rate of change and its connection to linear relations;
- B4. connect various representations of a linear relation, and solve problems using the representations.
C. Measurement and Geometry
- C1. determine, through investigation, the optimal values of various measurements of rectangles;
- C2. solve problems involving the measurements of two-dimensional shapes and the volumes of three-dimensional figures;
- C3. determine, through investigation facilitated by dynamic geometry software, geometric properties and relationships involving two-dimensional shapes, and apply the results to solving problems.