Learning Strategies 1: Skills for Success in Secondary School, Grade 9, Open (GLS1O)
Name of School: KCS Online Learning
Department: Guidance and Career Education Course Developer: Christian Bayly
Course Development Date: June 2019
Course Reviser/Revision Date: ----
Course Title & Grade: Learning Strategies 1: Skills for Success in Secondary School, Grade 9
Ministry Course Code: GLS1O
Course Type: Open
Credit Value: 1.0
Developed from: The Ontario Curriculum, Grade 9 and 10, Guidance and Career Education, 2006 - Revised
This course focuses on learning strategies to help students become better, more independent learners. Students will learn how to develop and apply literacy and numeracy skills, personal management skills, and interpersonal and teamwork skills to improve their learning and achievement in school, the workplace, and the community. The course helps students build confidence and motivation to pursue opportunities for success in secondary school and beyond.
Curriculum Overall Expectations:
A Learning Skills
- A1. identify and use a variety of literacy skills and strategies to improve reading, writing, and oral communication in everyday contexts;
- A2. identify and use a variety of numeracy skills and strategies to improve their practical application of mathematics in everyday contexts;
- A3. demonstrate an understanding of learning skills and strategies required for success in school.
B Personal Knowledge and Management Skills
- B1. apply knowledge of their personal skills and learning strengths to develop strategies for success in secondary school;
- B2. identify and describe personal-management skills required for success, and explain their use to help maximize learning;
- B3. demonstrate the use of personal-management skills and strategies to enhance learning.
C Interpersonal Knowledge and Skills
- C1. identify and describe the knowledge and skills necessary for successful interpersonal relations and teamwork;
- C2. assess their interpersonal and teamwork skills and strategies, and explain how those skills requiring further development affect their learning;
- C3. demonstrate the ability to apply appropriate interpersonal and teamwork skills in a variety of learning environments.
D Exploration of Opportunities
- D1. apply their knowledge of school, work, and community involvement opportunities to develop a personal learning plan;
- D2. demonstrate an understanding of school and community resources and how these can be utilized to support their learning needs;
- D3. develop a portfolio of documents pertaining to self-assessment, research, and career exploration that are necessary for planning a pathway for secondary school success.