Career Studies, Grade 10, Open (GLC2O)
Name of School:
Course Developer: Christian Bayly
Course Development Date: June 24, 2014
Course Reviser/Revision Date: ----
Course Title & Grade: Career Studies, Grade 10
Ministry Course Code: GLC2O
Course Type: Open
Credit Value: 0.5
Developed from: The Ontario Curriculum, Grade 9 and 10: Guidance and Career Education
This course teaches students how to develop and achieve personal goals for future learning, work, and community involvement. Students will assess their interests, skills, and characteristics and investigate current economic and workplace trends work opportunities, and ways to search for work. The course explores postsecondary learning and career options, prepares students for managing work and life transitions, and helps students focus on their goals through the development of a career plan.
Curriculum Overall Expectations:
- Use a self-assessment process to develop a personal profile for use in career development planning;
- Evaluate and apply the personal-management skills and characteristics needed for school success, document them in their portfolio, and demonstrate their use in a variety of settings;
- Demonstrate effective use of interpersonal skills within a variety of settings.
Exploration of Opportunities
- Use a research process to locate and select relevant career information from a variety of sources for inclusion in a portfolio;
- Identify current trends in society and the economy and describe their effect on work opportunities and work environments;
- Identify a broad range of options for present and future learning, work, and community involvement.
Preparation for Transitions and Change
- Use appropriate decision-making and planning processes to set goals and develop a career plan;
- Analyse changes taking place in their personal lives, their community, and the economy, and identify strategies to facilitate smooth transitions during change;
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and the ability to prepare for, the job-search process.