The Writer’s Craft, Grade 12, University Preparation (EWC4U)
Name of School: KCS Online Learning
Course Developer: Christian Bayly
Course Development Date: June 2019
Course Reviser/Revision Date: ----
Course Title & Grade: The Writer’s Craft, Grade 12
Ministry Course Code: EWC4U
Course Type: University Preparation
Credit Value: 1.0
Developed from: The Ontario Curriculum, Grades 11 and 12, English, 2007 - Revised Prerequisite: English, Grade 11, University Preparation
This course emphasizes knowledge and skills related to the craft of writing. Students will analyse models of effective writing; use a workshop approach to produce a range of works; identify and use techniques required for specialized forms of writing; and identify effective ways to improve the quality of their writing. They will also complete a major paper as part of a creative or analytical independent study project and investigate opportunities for publication and for writing careers.
Curriculum Overall Expectations:
A. INVESTIGATING WRITING
- A1. Writing, Writers, and the Writing Life: demonstrate an understanding of writing as an art, a craft, and a career as they explore the work of a variety of Canadian and international writers.
B. PRACTISING WRITING
- B1. Exploring Ideas, Forms, and Styles: generate and experiment with ideas about writing content, forms, and styles;
- B2. Drafting and Revising: organize, draft, and revise their writing, employing forms and stylistic elements appropriate for their purpose and audience;
- B3. Editing, Proofreading, and Publishing: use editing, proofreading, and publishing skills and strategies to refine and polish their work;
- B4. Collaborative Writing: collaborate in the writing process with peers by generating ideas, responding to peers’ work, and assessing peers’ work in a workshop setting.
REFLECTING ON WRITING S
- C1. Metacognition: identify their strengths as writers and areas where they could improve, and assess the growth and development of their own writing style.