Business Leadership: Management Fundamentals, Grade 12, University/College Preparation (BOH4M)
Name of School: KCS Online Learning
Course Developer: Christian Bayly
Course Development Date: June 2019
Course Reviser/Revision Date: ----
Course Title & Grade: Business Leadership: Management Fundamentals, Grade 12
Ministry Course Code: BOH4M
Course Type: University/College Preparation
Credit Value: 1.0
Developed from: The Ontario Curriculum Grades 11 and 12, Business Studies, 2006 - Revised
This course focuses on the development of leadership skills used in managing a successful business. Students will analyse the role of a leader in business, with a focus on decision making, management of group dynamics, workplace stress and conflict, motivation of employees, and planning. Effective business communication skills, ethics, and social responsibility are also emphasized.
Curriculum Overall Expectations:
A. Foundations of Management
- A1. assess the role of management within an organization; A2. demonstrate the use of appropriate communication techniques related to business management; A3. evaluate the impact of issues related to ethics and social responsibility on the management of organizations.
- B1. apply an understanding of human behaviour to explain how individuals and groups function in the workplace;
- B2. demonstrate an understanding of group dynamics;
- B3. demonstrate an understanding of proper leadership techniques in a variety of situations.
C. Management Challenges
- C1. demonstrate an understanding of the communication process within the workplace;
- C2. evaluate the strategies used by individuals and organizations to manage stress and conflict;
- C3. compare theories of how to motivate individuals and teams in a productive work environment.
D. Planning and Controlling
- D1. analyse the importance of planning to the success of an organization;
- D2. demonstrate an understanding of appropriate planning tools and techniques in a variety of situations;
- D3. analyse the relationship between strategic planning and the success of an organization;
- D4. analyse how companies respond to internal and external pressures for change;
- D5. assess the importance of control in management.
- E1. demonstrate an understanding of the various organizational structures used to manage the workforce effectively;
- E2. assess the ways in which organizational structures have changed to adapt to the changing nature of work;
- E3. evaluate the role of human resources within an organization.